Announcing the High Times Cannabis Cup SoCal: People’s Choice Edition 2023
Earlier this month, we announced the launch of the High Times Cannabis Cup People’s Edition in Michigan, but now we’re hyping up the West Coast for the return of its own People’s Choice Awards! Welcome to the High Times Cannabis Cup SoCal: People’s Choice Edition 2023, a recreational-only competition celebrating some of the best cannabis products in the region.
The SoCal Cannabis Cup was first introduced in 2015, where it thrived as an in-person event between 2015-2019. Back in 2015, strains like Flower Bomb Kush, True OG, and Amnesia Haze were the cream of the crop, and categories like “Best Booth” and “Best Glass” were still commonplace. The pandemic may have put a halt to in-person events, but the People’s Choice has taken the nation by storm, with a People’s Choice competition held for SoCal in both 2020 (with winners announced in 2021) and 2022. In 2021, huge favorites like Biscotti, Gelonade, and Lemon Sponge Cake took first place, among a varied selection of pre-rolls, edibles, and more. Our 2022 SoCal: People’s Choice Edition was one of the biggest cups so far, with winners such as Top Shelf Cultivation’s Whoa Si Whoa, Sense’s Pink Certz Flower, Wizard Trees’s Studio 54, and Team Elite Genetics’s Pearadise Flower—just a few of the amazing strains that won over our judges.
Fast forward to this year’s High Times Cannabis Cup SoCal: People’s Choice Edition 2023, and we’re expecting another exciting collection of products to experience. With that in mind, here’s the schedule for this year: Product submissions will be dropped off at the Moxie Lynwood facility between May 8-10. Then our official intake partner, Moxie, will build the judge kits and then we’ll transport the kits to all participating High Times and Have a Heart retailers. On May 20, judge kits will officially go on sale! Judges will have between May 21 to July 10 to test out their goodies, submitting their thoughts on product differentiators such as aesthetics, aroma/scent, taste/flavor, effects/effectiveness, and so much more.
According to High Times Director of Competitions Mark Kaz, 2021 was a record-breaking year in terms of participation. “Twenty-one Cups, 339 brands, 1,389 batches of entries, all judged by about 15,000 judges who helped crown 249 award-winners for best products in their state,” Kaz said. “Our industry is going through a tough recession, restrictive regulations, and plenty of other woes, but one thing that’s for certain is that people want to find out who has the best weed, and we’re here to help.”
For companies who want to submit products for this year’s competition, please refer to the following rules.
- Indica Flower (2 entries max per company)
- Sativa Flower (2 entries max per company)
- Hybrid Flower (2 entries max per company)
- Pre-Rolls (2 entries max per company)
- Infused Pre-Rolls (1 entry max per company)
- Solvent Concentrates (2 entries max per company)
- Non-Solvent Concentrates (2 entries max per company)
- Vape Pens & Cartridges (2 entries max per company)
- Edibles: Gummies & Fruit Chews (3 entries max per company)
- Edibles: Chocolates & Non-Gummies (3 entries max per company)
- Edibles: Beverages (2 entries max per company)
- Sublinguals, Capsules, Tinctures + Topicals (3 entries max per company)
- Flower: (228) 1-gram samples. We will not accept any 3.5-gram entries.
- Pre-Rolls & Infused Pre-Rolls: (228) samples: Pre-Rolls will be capped at 2g flower-only each; Infused Pre-Rolls will be capped at 3g flower equivalency or 1g concentrate equivalency each.
- Concentrates & Vape Pens: (228) .5-gram samples. We will not accept any 1-gram entries. Batteries required for Carts.
- Edibles: (100) samples with 100mg THC max.
- Beverages: must be a max of 16 fluid ounces, non-glass containers preferred.
- Sublinguals, Capsules, Tinctures + Topicals: (60) samples with 500mg THC max
In terms of submission pricing, competitors should note the entry fees depending on how many products they submit. While one entry is $250, and two entries is $100 per entry (both non-refundable), submissions of three or more entries is a $100 refundable deposit per entry held, which is refunded when all entries are successfully submitted. Finally, if you’d like to sponsor this year’s High Times Cannabis Cup SoCal: People’s Choice Edition 2023 then all entry fees are waived. We also offer multiple tiers of sponsorship, including General, Bronze, Silver, and Presenting Sponsorships.
That sums up the details of our event this year but check out our High Times Cannabis Cup website to view all of the details.
A special thank you to:
Moxie – Official Intake Partner
Have a Heart – Official Retailer Partner
High Times Dispensaries – Official Retailer Partner